Sunday, January 15, 2012

"What are you looking for?"

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman
                                           
What are you looking for?
Those words, which Jesus uttered in this Sunday’s Gospel (1/15/12) really struck me.  While thinking about that simple phrase many things come to mind, but mostly what popped into my mind was the question I was asked over break “well then, what’s next after this volunteer year?”  And my honest answer is “I don’t know”.  I am not 100% sure where I will end up come July, and I am OK with that, God has a plan for me.  But the other answer I gave was “I’m still not sure what I want to do for the rest of my life, I can’t really define what it is I am passionate about”.  So, I guess I don’t exactly know what I am looking for in terms of what I want to do come July.  But one thing I do know is that while I don’t know what it is I am looking for, I feel like I will know what it is when I find it.
                I know going into this year I didn’t have many expectations of “what I was looking for”.  But I do know that one of the things I was looking for was to grow deeper in my faith, which I feel as this year progresses I am growing deeper in my faith.  Another thing I was looking for in my year was to form relationships with those with whom I would be working and also with those whom I would be living in community with.  I know I have been changed by all of those whom I work with, I just hope that come July I am not just “another AMA who passed through for the year” I hope that I am remembered for something I did or said. 
                But to answer what I am looking for, I am looking for another 6 months filled with many memories and wonderful moments.  Moments that I know I don’t want to rush through, because those moments will be what I remember.  So these moments are what I am looking for right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment